Friday, November 28, 2008

What? These tears?

The invitation read....

We are looking forward to your 1st visit at school on Friday

These words conjured all sorts of emotions in me....

Joy ~ we made, they made it, I survived 5 years of twins, twin boys, with most of my sanity intact.

Excitement ~ that they would be entering into a new phase of their lives. Excited that they would be joining their sister at school. Excited that I would only have one stop to make in the mornings. Excited that school fees would be cheaper than childcare fees. Excited that they would be making new friends. Excited that for one day a week I would have 7 hours all to myself
(the other 4 days are taken up with work...not excited about this)

Concern ~ about the influences they will be coming up against in the outside world. Concern about whether we are making the right choice to keep them in the same class. Concern about whether I have prepared them for this kind of independence.

Sadness ~ that my babies were all grown up. Sadness about how fast 5 years goes. Even now thinking about it brings tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat.

Next week they'll have another visit, and I'll have another cry in the car, and then that will be it until the start of Term 1 at the end of next January.

They're about to spread their wings and fly off into the big world, so for the next 8 weeks I'll keep them safely under my protective wings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey...i just noticed the name tags attached to their shirts...could you just leave them on permanently...the tags, not the shirts, attach the tags to clean shirts...but could you make sure they're names are visible in all future posts...so we can all tell who's who?!

ailish i have down pat...no name tag required.